A few thoughts on the last year...

Tonight is the end of my 33rd birthday. It seems like the past few years have kind of melted together so I thought it would be good to try and remember this last year with a little more detail. As I reflected a few things came to mind of things I've learned, loved, and cherished.

#1 Never underestimate the power of prayer. I know my sister Stephanie is with us today because of the many prayers offered in her behalf. I always thought that if I was ever in a crisis situation I'd naturally be upset with God for allowing it to happen. However, I got a glimpse of how the Lord truly lifts burdens and can replace feelings of pain with peace if we allow him to.

#2 I wish I could freeze time. Ethan is now 3 1/2 and its so much fun. I never really knew how much I could love a little guy. My goal each day is to cherish every moment I have with him. (Somedays are better than others.:) I love our conversations. Often they involved Trey and going to the airport, random questions (like what do bugs eat?), and Ethan's imaginary friends. I asked him to stop growing and he explained with tears in his eyes that he was sorry but he couldn't.

#3 My little family comes first. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to visit Oregon and see my family. However, this last year I really started to understand that the only people that I can truly count on are Bob and Ethan. Realizing this has allowed me to get rid of any expectations that I may have had on others, and has made me appreciate Bob and Ethan more than I ever have.

May my 33rd year be filled with more great experiences!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy Happy Birthday Emily! I was thinking about you all day. I kept meaning to email you -- then as the day kept going, I ended up getting more sick (sicker?). I always remember celebrating our birthdays with that ice cream cake on our mission. So fun! I hope you had a great day. Sorry I missed it.

Janette said...

Emily, I love that you are such a down to earth person. I admire your testimony and your upbeat personality. I am so excited for baby #2...hope to see you guys soon. Happy late birthday!!!

Tanya said...

those are great lessons. amazing that you learned them all in one year! thanks for sharing.

Recent Posts

google33e193cc695cc79f.html