Shepherd's Field & Bethlehem


Shepherd's Field (Bethlehem is in the background)
Yes, there are still sheep and shepherd boys wandering there!


While living in Jerusalem (I studied abroad for 4 months in Israel) I had many life changing experiences as I studied the life of our Savior Jesus Christ & visited the places that he had been during his mortal life. Today I was thinking of Christ's birth & I pulled out some of my pictures & journals. It brought back great memories so I'd thought I'd share a few.

Monday April 10, 2000
"Last night we went to the Shepherd's Field just south of Bethlehem. It was in that area that the angels came and told the shepherds of Christ's birth (Luke 2:8-20). We sat at dusk and watched the lights of Bethlehem come on while we had a small program reading the scriptures of the Savior's birth and singing songs. It was a very sweet experience to think nearly 2000 years ago this time of year that the Savior was born here! It was a windy & chilly evening and I couldn't help but wonder if it was the same while Mary & Joseph searched for shelter. So often I imagine the weather always being hot in Israel, but I've learned the hard way--that's not true in Jerusalem during the winter months! I'll never view Christ's birth the same way again."



Below: The Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem (A Catholic Church built over the birth place of Jesus Christ. For more information about The Church of the Nativity I found this website with great pictures & fairly accurate historical information.




I'm grateful for this time of year that I can reflect more on the Savior and His Life. I'm so thankful for His great sacrifice & example.

Nativity bought in Bethlehem made out of olive wood.

PS A big shout out to those who I was in Jerusalem with! Love you guys!

5 comments:

Christi said...

How fun that you got to go to Jerusalem! I'm jealous!

Lindsay said...

Oh how i miss it. Soooo bad. I love how everyone's bundled up in the picture. Too bad no one told us it got so cold in Israel.
We're super lucky we got to experience a completely life changing 4 months!

Dori said...

Thanks for sharing such precious things.

melissa merrill said...

I am so jealous of your experience! What an incredible time that must have been to walk where Jesus walked! I am sorry we didn't get to come and visit while we were there...I truly wanted to hang out with you! Hopefully we will make it back soon.

Tanya said...

you are so lucky to have had that opportunity! very very cool toad. i love this time of year.

Recent Posts

google33e193cc695cc79f.html