Monkey Beanie Hat Tutorial & Pattern

Yes, the tutorial & pattern for the monkey hat is here! This is a super easy 1 hour project {well, an hour for those sewing rookies...like me}! You could easily transform this pattern into a bunch of other animals (bears, cats, etc.), but we like monkeys around this place so here you go!




{Sidenote}: Actually if you don't have a sewing machine you could still make one of these using Wonder Under! Just grab a fleece hat and stick on the face pieces with the WU!


Monkey Hat Tutorial & Pattern
First, print out the pattern pieces. Cut each piece out on the fabric you'd like to use. Be creative! You DON'T just have to use fleece on a bolt at JoAnn's. I totally bought a cheap fleece throw blanket {$3} a while back and used it as the main part of this hat. Look around your house and see what you can come up with!
*I made the pattern in toddler and preschooler because I have a 17 month old and a 5 year old. You could easily adjust the pattern a bit bigger or smaller to fit your child's head.
Click here for the pattern:

About the hat length:

The "preschooler" size hat shown at the top of the blog is the "longer hat". This will look great if you want a "finished" edge around the hat.

If you'd rather not have to sew around the bottom or just like the "rough" edge better, here is the "beanie" style hat:




Here's the play by play with photos...

OPTIONAL: If you'd like to use Wonder Under to secure the face pieces you can. If you don't have any, you can just pin and sew the pieces on without it. {I did this for the 1st one I made.}

If you are using WU:

Wonder Under and I have a love\hate relationship. I think its so great to have things "stick", but I'm the worst at attaching it.

And if you think I'm kidding...

Yes, I ironed my Wonder Under to the fabric ironing board. Before I realized what I had done I took a picture that I thought would help in the tutorial. Yeah, I know...you can stop giggling now.:)

Now moving on to the next step! If you used Wonder Under:


Now everyone is ready to...


Next,


(Leaving the bottom open.)

Be sure not to sew the bottom shut! Leave it open for the head!!

Before you turn it rightside out...

Now you can turn it inside out and...


Optional: Pin down the material where you the folded it down to hold it in place.



Good luck, have fun, and send me a picture so I can see how it turns out! toadstreasures@gmail.com

PS

For more pictures of the hat and my little monkeys you can click here!:)

One last thing...if you have a little girl who may not appreciate a monkey hat you can always make her one of these!

Its a reversible bubble skirt and its darling. {Especially on my neice Lucy!;)}Click here to get the patttern! {Its only $6!}

XOXO-Toad;)
+Emily Ashby

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is absolutely adorable. I want to make two for my two kids. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my button.

Anne said...

Oh, so cute!!! I featured your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-fleece-monkey-hat-for-toddlers/2010/01/24/

--Anne

Elizabeth said...

This is the cutest! I found it on Craft Gossip! Thanks so much for sharing! And your little guy is adorable.

- Elizabeth
Owner (www.missimagination.com)

Expressions by Heather said...

This is just the cutest little hat!

Please feel free to link it up with my Talented Tuesday link party at My Frugal Family!

http://theherberfamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/talented-tuesday.html

Tanya said...

very cute. has anyone made one yet? i can't wait to see what they come up with.

Anonymous said...

I just sent off a monkey hat to my granddaughter. It turned out very cute. I would like to get you a picture but not sure how to send it. I also hope my daughter will send me a pic of my granddaughter wearing it.
Patty

Toddler Mom said...

I made this hat for my toddler's "crazy hat" night at Vacation Bible School. I added some wiggly eyes, buttons, and a pom-pom. I also recommended it on my blog http://mytoddlerstories.blogspot.com/. It turned out so cute. Thanks for the FREE pattern!!!!

Recent Posts

google33e193cc695cc79f.html