{$4} Teacher {or last minute} gift

You don't even have to be "crafty" for this one!

Do you remember your favorite teacher as a child? Mine was Mrs. Mick. I remember the way she looked, smelled, and how long and fancy her nails were!

I think Ethan will have fond memories of his great preschool teacher Miss Erin. And because he loves her so much-- {and so do we}-- I wanted Ethan to do something special for her for Christmas. I heard that teachers like to get handmade gifts from students, so I've been blog hopping trying to find a good idea. Unfortunately I didn't have much luck. Then I remember this old school idea my mom had made a while back... A lighted, scented, glass vase decoration! {Thanks mom!}



{Although...I have to admit I was a little nervous about it after talking to my friend Heather. She told me that they got this huge ugly vase from a great aunt as a wedding gift--complete with a doily on top! After I tried to explain that this would be a "cool" vase, Heather consented to the idea...:) She also mentioned that Pier 1 has great potpourri.}

I thought it would be a fun, easy project for Ethan, and with the awesome vinyl snowflakes Marlynn made I got really excited.

And I was even more excited about it when I realized that it would only cost us about $4...thanks to Marlynn {vinyl snowfake}, the Dollar Store {vase}, and Walmart {mini lights and potpourri}!

Yes, yes its true...$4. And here's all you need to do...

Put the vinyl on the vase:
Oh yeah! {Ethan added 2 more snowflakes for fun...but I made another vase with just one big flake and it looks great too.}

Then alternate the lights and potpourri, twisting the lights around as you go...


and keep going all the way to the top of the vase:

Plug that sweet smelling vase into the wall and what a sight!

I think it would be a great addition to ANY room, but a fab nightlight for the bathroom! {Heaven only knows how we like it to smell nice in there!} And the lights not only look great, but actually warm up the potpourri to help it have a stronger scent.

And speaking of smelling nice, here's one last tip. You can get these oil drops just about anywhere, but I got mine at Bath and Body works. I put a few drops on the apple cinnamon potpourri and it smells even better!

Congrats! Now you've found your last minute, easy, inexpensive gift for your mother-in-law {those ladies invented potpourri--I didn't even know it still existed;)} , teacher, neighbor, friend, those you visiting teach, & anyone who's house you may not like the smell of! {Just kidding about the last one.} :)
Hope you like it!

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Super cute, Emily. I've been so behind this year (moving or something) - I didn't even do teacher gifts. Today is the kids last day of school and I just didn't get that far. I love this idea. You keep pumping out such great ideas!! :)

Dawn said...

You've amazed me again. I so need you to live accross the street from me.

Tanya said...

this is a great idea! i got my vinyl in the mail yesterday! i was very excited.

Amanda said...

I am writing to request permission to reprint this adorable project on Craftown.com. We would of course give you full credit and will happily link back to your blog. Please let me know if this is acceptable. Thanks!

Amanda Formaro
Chief Editor - Craftown.com
http://craftown.com

Recent Posts

google33e193cc695cc79f.html