(Just remember I'm a novice. Since I've made this skirt I've actually made another one that I really like too (another post maybe?)...FYI both are EASY since I'm a beginner!(Sorry, no swimsuit picts people.)
Here's the skinny:
-Some 1 1/2 inch non roll elastic
-Some super tough "sewing" velcro at least 1 inch wide (aka velcro that says you can sew it...we don't want any broken needles now!)
-Your kids to be napping or in bed!
1) Get a towel! If you have one you like already, grab it! I found these in a 2 pack at Costco.
2) Cut the "length" of your skirt. You can hold the towel up to your waist and then cut it off where you like it. Hint: Just remember that you'll need an extra 2 inches at the top for the elastic waist.
My towel was 34 inches so I just cut it in half to make this skirt 17 inches long.
5) Now wrap that baby around you to figure out how much towel you'll actually need.
7) Now take your elastic and figure out how tight you want the skirt to be. Cut it where you'd like it. (Hint: Don't do it too tight or it will pull the velco too much when its done.)
8) Thread the elastic through the top of the towel.
13) Now take out the safety pin & sew the elastic at the other end...
14) Now its time to put on the velcro. Cut it approx. 2 inches long. Hint: If I could do it again I'd buy fatter (at least 1 inch wide), & tougher stuff so my skirt stays on better.
Hint: Put the soft side of the velcro facing "outward" and the "rough" side on the end where you'll wrap the towel around.
Questions or what me to make one for you? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!